SJRWMD slide 1 SJRWMD slide 2 SJRWMD slide 3 SJRWMD slide 4 SJRWMD slide 5 SJRWMD slide 6
SJRWMD logo for print -



To subscribe to Permit­ting News You Can Use, please send an email to contact@​sjrwmd.​com with your name and email address.

Regulatory News

Which service center serves my county?

Regulatory contacts

Have a question, comment or suggestion for our permitting staff or about this newsletter? Contact us:

Comment form
Phone: (800) 451-7106

Current issue

Past issues




March 2017
Issue 9

In this issue:

Improving the permitting process: Your feedback is requested

The district continually seeks to improve the regulatory process so permits are issued quickly while ensuring resource protection and maintaining excellent customer service. As our customers, the district depends on your feedback to identify improvement areas. Is there a need for training on a particular regulatory requirement? Are further refinements to e-Permitting needed to enhance the user experience? Are you at an impasse on a particular project?

There are several ways to provide feedback:

  1. Contact staff in the Division of Regulatory Services. Key staff contacts are:
    • Palatka Headquarters (Environmental Resource Program Coordinator — Allen Baggett)
      Main switchboard: 386-329 4500
      Toll-free: 800-451 7106
    • Jacksonville Service Center (Regulatory Coordinator — David Miracle)
      Main switchboard: 904-730 6270
      Toll-free: 800-852 1563
    • Maitland Service Center (Regulatory Coordinator — Marc vonCanal)
      Main switchboard: 407-659 4800
      Toll-free: 877-228 1658
    • Palm Bay Service Center (Regulatory Coordinator — John Juilianna)
      Main switchboard: 321-984 4940
      Toll-free: 800-295 3264
  2. Contact the Office of Business and Administrative Services:
    • Call the Customer Service Help Line at 386-329-4570 for e-Permitting assistance
    • Send an email to for information on applications for a consumptive use permit (CUP), an environmental resource permit (ERP), and/or a water well construction permit
  3. Provide feedback via the Customer Service Survey. The survey link is provided when the district emails the permit to the permittee and consultant.
  4. Participate in upcoming Peer Review meetings.
    The spring 2017 schedule is: For more information, contact Heidi Bennett at 386-329-4513 or
  5. Contact the District Ombudsman. Permit applicants who need assistance resolving issues may contact the District’s Ombudsman, James Peluso, at 904-224-2958 or

We value your input and look forward to hearing from you!

Payment of application fees electronically is fast and secure

Applicants and consultants may pay permit application fees electronically through the district’s e-Permitting site. This is much quicker and more efficient than physically delivering a check to a district office. Payments may be made online using either a checking account or credit card. Your payment is made using a secure, encrypted connection with Bank of America’s online payment site. Because these transactions are processed by Bank of America, the district and its employees do not have access to checking account or credit card information, nor is any of the information retained as part of the public record. Credit cards currently accepted are American Express, VISA and MasterCard, and receipts for online payments are immediately acknowledged via email.

Coming soon, the district will be switching vendors from Bank of America to ACI’s Worldwide Official Payments System, which includes the options to print a receipt and receive an email confirmation. The look will be a little different but, the payment process will continue to be user-friendly. The district is excited to be able to offer this feature to the public in the future.

Paper checks can also be used to submit the payment electronically. For example, if a consultant is given a check from their client, the consultant can enter the routing and account information on the check and submit electronically. The transaction will appear as an ACH withdrawal on the checking account statement. Please note that the consultant should request permission from the client before entering the data on the check.

For more information, contact customer support at 386-329-4570 or

Unsure if your project needs a permit? Apply for a permit determination or verification of exemption

Through the district’s e-Permitting webpage or portal, you can apply for a permit determination if you are unsure of the type of environmental resource permit (ERP) you will need for your project, or you can apply for a formal verification of exemption if you believe your project is exempt from the need to obtain a permit.

Although you are not required, if you desire to obtain a verification of exemption letter from the district, you may do so by completing Form 62-330.050(1) “Request for Verification of Exemption.” After receiving a request, district regulatory staff will review the proposed activities and will formally verify whether those activities meet the criteria under Rule 62-330.051, Florida Administrative Code, or Sections 373.406 or 403.813 Florida Statutes. Determination costs vary; there is a $100 fee to request a formal verification of an exemption.

Understanding the anaerobic conditions within a wet detention pond

It’s important to have the correct depth of water in a wet detention pond. The primary treatment mechanism within a wet detention pond is sedimentation. Many of the nutrients and metals removed from the water column settle and accumulate in the top few inches of the pond bottom sediments. If a pond is deep enough, it will have the tendency for thermal stratification, creating the potential for anaerobic conditions to develop at or near the pond bottom. It is important to maintain an aerobic environment throughout the entire water column within a wet detention pond in order to minimize the release of nutrients and metals from the bottom sediments.

The wet detention pond presumptive design criteria found in Section 8.0 of Part V of the district’s Applicant’s Handbook, Volume II includes a maximum pond depth of 12 feet, measured from the normal/control elevation to the pond bottom elevation (also known as the permanent pool volume). As an alternative, the designer can perform an aerobic depth analysis to demonstrate that a pond depth deeper than 12 feet is appropriate for the specific site conditions. By knowing the depth of the aerobic portion of the water column, the designer can determine whether an adequate aerobic permanent pool volume can be maintained throughout the year, and whether an aeration system is needed for the design. For pond designs that will be deeper than 12 feet, the designer is encouraged to meet with district staff before finalizing the pond design.


In this section
More about


Governing Board meetings
Please see agendas for specific meeting times, which may differ monthly.

Lobbyist registration requirements

Other district meetings and notices

Central Florida Water Initiative

Tell us how
we are doing.

Take our survey on
customer service.

By accessing this site, you agree to accept terms and conditions of the district’s liability disclaimer.

Employee Portal

St. Johns River Water Management District
4049 Reid Street, Palatka, FL 32177
(800) 725-5922